Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Alaska... part 1

This is my first time in Alaska and I'm finding it to be as beautiful as expected.  We started off in the small town of Dutch Harbor on the island of Amaknak, part of the Aleutian Islands.   This is the town where "The Deadliest Catch' is filmed - big fishing and crabbing town.  We went into the tiny town to take in their museum and to have a lunch of King Crab. 






Next up was Kodiak where the day started off with pouring rain so I skipped a scheduled hike.  But, by the afternoon the sun came out and I took in some local wildlife down by the docks.



I had been sitting on a floating dock watching the cute otter above when a boat pulled up and apparently startled a very large sea lion that, unbeknownst to me, had been hanging out under the dock.  He came charging out so fast that I barely had time to get this photo.



Yesterday we were in Seward.  Its a lovely little town where we enjoyed the Alaska SeaLife Center and checking out the shops.



I had taken lots of photos of Bald Eagles as they flew in a distance around our ship, but finally was able to get a close up of this guy sitting on a light pole.

Today we'll be cruising to Hubbard Glacier, then tomorrow Glacier Bay.  Fingers crossed for good weather as these are suppose to be gorgeous areas.


No comments:

Post a Comment