Wednesday, January 20, 2016

More from Central America

It’s been a while since I updated… I’ll blame it all on the internet issues here on the ship J.  Since I last posted I’ve been to Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Mexico.  Lots of fun with some excursions better than others. 

From Caldera, Costa Rica I went up to Poas Volcano National Park.  It was a good day, but unfortunately the volcano was clouded in by the time we arrived.  Too bad because it looked like a pretty interesting place.  I took a photo of a photo that was hanging in the visitors center.  Would love have seen this crater for real.
 
The drive up to the volcano was quite scenic with coffee growing everywhere - apparently much of it for Starbucks.  We also stopped at the Oxcart Factory.  The story goes that Oxcarts were once the primary mode of transporting coffee from the mountains to the Pacific ports for shipment.  Each plantation had their own design so people knew at a glance to whom the coffee belonged.    
 
The next stop was San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua.  I choose to do a catamaran cruise and snorkeling trip.  The sailing and the ship’s crew were great.  Snorkeling… not so much.  There wasn’t much to see from a snorkeling perspective, but a jellyfish found me.  Those guys always seem to find me!  Nothing to show from that day other than the sad remains of the itchy stings.  I’ll spare you.

On to Mexico where I did trips up into the mountains and small towns from our stops at both Huatulco and Puerto Vallarta. These are my kind of days.  I love to visit the small towns to see how people in the area live.   Some photos from my day outside of Huatulco:
 
 
 
From Puerto Vallarta I took a speed boat over to Boca de Tomatlian Beach where we switched transport to a 4 x 4 Unimog truck and took off into the Western Sierra Madre Mountains.  
 
A road-side bakery.
 
 


Cactus blossom at the area’s botanical gardens.
 
Freshly made cow’s cheese along with a still warm blue corn tortilla and spicy salsa combined in taco-fashion made a great snack.     

A stop at a small tequila distillery where we tasted 6 different varieties.  This was some very smooth tequila! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment