Saturday, February 27, 2016

Komodo Island

If you ever want to see the mother of all lizards, check out Komodo Island in Indonesia.   The Komodo Dragon can grow up to 11 feet long and weigh up to 300 pounds.  The female lays up to 30 eggs but only about 3 survive as mom and dad like to eat their young.  When not eating the kids, they munch on deer, water buffalo and whatever else they can find.  The locals only mentioned one human death – back in the 40’s.  I didn’t hang around long enough to become the second victim.



Not the prettiest backside.

Dragon food hanging out on the beach.

The guides use a stick that's forked at one end to keep the dragons at bay.  Doesn’t seem like much protection to me but, I guess it works.  I've given up on the rest of the photos as the internet in slow-mode tonight.  Tomorrow we arrive in Bali for a 3-day stay. 

2 comments:

  1. Impressive. How close did you get to those Komodo dragons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very close but in a safe way with the guides protecting us with their less than imposing looking sticks. After the tour I walked along the beach to see the deer and almost walked into another one there. But, another local was positioned there (with his stick) and warned me before I got too close.
      BTW, nice to see a post here. Ever since I started doing the updates on FB that's where all the comments are. You made my day :)

      Delete