Monday, March 28, 2016

Hong Kong

I’ve been told by a trusted source that I haven’t been posting enough photos.  So, since I unexpectedly have time today, I’m happy to oblige.  The reason that I have time isn’t a good thing.  There was some type of ‘technical issue’ with the ship last night that resulted in a delay into today’s port of Xiamen, China.  There were three overland trips departing from here, two of which were able to make their flights.  My trip, however was cancelled.  This was to have been a two night trip to a section of Southern China that I have wanted to visit for years: Guilin and the River Li.  If you don’t know about the area, Google it so you can see what I’m missing – it’s really a lovely area. 

So, instead I posted additional photos from Vietnam earlier today (see below) and now I’ll add some from our two days in Hong Kong.  I enjoyed my first time in Hong Kong.  One more day would have been perfect J.

The first day I did a fun excursion that included an hour Tai Chi class, walking around an interesting variety of markets and the best dim sum lunch I’ve ever had.  Perfect!
 
Our very cute 80-something Tai Chi master.
 
A stall at the jade market.
 
In addition to a street market of veggies, fish and the like, we also browsed a flower market and a bird market.  The bird market was a first for me...
 
 
 
There were stacks of birds in cages (poor little birds), but what I found most interesting was groups of men hanging out to apparently discuss the birds. 
 

The second day was a trip to Lantau Island where we visited Tai O, a small fishing village, the Po Lin Monastery and a really big Buddha.  The Tin Tan Buddha is said to be the tallest outdoor statue of Buddha – does that mean there’s a taller INDOOR Buddha? Guess I should have asked! 
As I was standing on the bridge in Tai O, a crew team came racing by.  That was unexpected!
I liked the boat ornament. Interesting that they had a smoker onboard. 
 
 
 
We took a 25 minute cable car trip back down from the mountain where the monastery and Buddha sit. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment